Pages

Friday, July 2, 2010

Appearance changes and first release approaches

I decided try out some different characters for rendering the map. I chose the lowest level of filled block for the floors and the solid one for walls. I like that the floors now show lighting more clearly (which will help when stealth is implemented) however I dislike that objects on the floor have different backgrounds. I tried to offset this by rendering a solid color gray background behind them, but that just made things hard to see so I'm sticking with black backgrounds for now. I may end up switching the floors back to periods if I feel like it's too ugly, but I'm definitely keeping the walls.
In other news, I spent the last few hours hard at work. I feel like I'm almost ready to release a public alpha version (0.1a I guess I'll call it). I checked off everything on my todo list for 0.1a except for in-menu item descriptions which I'll probably add in tomorrow. I also have a few other minor tweaks and features that I'd like to add, and I need to write up a quick manual and find a place to host the file.

Edit: If anyone is actually reading this and has an opinion on the new map graphics, I'd love to hear it.

1 comment:

  1. It looks great for ASCII! Although I don't mind playing games without tiles, any cyberpunk-related RL reminds me of Decker (did you ever play that?) which I thought was amazing in spite of it's simplicity. It had a fun little tile set for the game and a great Windows GUI.

    I look forward to playing your game when you get a 64-bit version out. And am hoping for some Shadowrun-esque missions!

    ReplyDelete