Pages

Saturday, July 10, 2010

A little update...

In my last post I said I'd post an update about the hacking system "tomorrow", but it's been a little longer than that, sorry. Anyway, I got a little caught up doing other behind the scenes improvements. The field of view calculation is SO much better now and some of the other code has been cleaned up a little. I just started on the hacking interface tonight. I decided to go for a really old school terminal thing:
Every time a skill check is taken, you're prompted to press any key and then you get sent back to the map. I did this so that I can simulate time passage while you're in a console (because it would be unfair if time passed but you didn't see what was going on). When the authorities are notified it just increases your bounty, but I may add alarms and other counter measures eventually, once I implement real pathfinding.

Anyway, progress is going well. I'm going to try to release a new version packed with new stuff within a week or two... hopefully.

2 comments:

  1. Regarding hacking maybe separate it out into several disciplines. Network intrusion and programming are two possible skills. Breaking into a system is a lot different from programming the tools you'd need to do so. You could buy the programs blackmarket as an alternative to those who would rather not split their skill distribution but the intrusion skill would have to be learned on the job.

    Old school terminal is cool. A simpler version the Uplink game is good. You really don't need to simulate port sniffing and tracerts for a RL. :p

    C&C to spout the buzzword of the day [Choice and consequence]. Is it viable to play a hacking focused character who avoids combat? Or maybe have a way for them to upgrade their augmentations so they can compensate for having to split their skill points in a noncombat direction.

    Also a side note for augmentations. To generate a lot of generic ones without too much work just have one that give minor bonuses to the skills. Or does that reek too much of "I know Kung Fu"?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well I am planning on having various programs that you can buy to help with hacking, but I hadn't considered giving you the ability to write them yourself. Basically the programs would give you bonuses for various hacking activities, so you don't really have to waste all your points on the hacking skill.

    I don't know how I could really make it viable to play as only a hacker, due to the random, unpredictable nature of the world. It would be hard to ensure a hacking-oriented way around obstacles. I envision hacking as just being a bonus to help you get more money and also to complement stealth and things. You bring up a good point about it taking up vital skill points that are still needed for combat. I'll need to offset that somehow.

    Augmentations that provide one-time skill bonuses are something I have been on the edge about for a while. It would be extremely useful, but it would also make them pretty boring. I had kinda wanted each augmentation to provide a new ability or do something unique.

    ReplyDelete