Pages

Wednesday, June 30, 2010

Lighting and a description of current features

Today I added lighting. Currently it is only graphical, but I think I may add a stealth element to the game and lighting percentage of a tile will be the chance of success for spotting hidden actors (modified by perception skill or augmentations). If I do add stealth elements, I'll probably add destroyable lights.














There's a screenshot. It's kind of hard to show off the system in action because it requires you to move around to get a feel for, due to the limited line of sight.

I've decided that I'll release an alpha version (v0.1 or something) once I make a few changes:
  • A little more polish for the interface and menus
  • Augmentation and supply vending machines
  • Some minor bug fixes and rewrites of certain systems
This shouldn't take more than a few days, but I'll need to find a file host for it. Also it won't have saving yet. However I plan to eventually add saving once there's enough content to actually play in more than one sitting.

For those who are curious, here are some of the already implemented features:
  • A small city of 2400 randomly generated screen-sized maps. They are stored in memory so when you leave a map and come back, it will be the same as you left it (but they don't update when you're off-screen).
  • Various different NPCs separated into factions (Civilian, Police, Lunatics, Addicts, Thugs). Some are hostile by default. Some are hostile only after being attacked. Police go after you if you have a wanted level. NPCs can fight each other. Doctors have healing and augmentation services.
  • Blood and severing of body parts (bionic replacement limbs will be added eventually).
  • Dynamic health based on location and blood loss.
  • ---> Explosive, movable barrels!!! <---
  • Destructible walls, although no weapons in the game can currently destroy walls

No comments:

Post a Comment