Pages

Monday, September 13, 2010

vision modes

I just spent a little while implementing some visual effects for night vision and thermal vision. Right now they only affect coloring and sight radius, but obviously I'll need to give them some in-game advantages and disadvantages. I'm thinking the thermal will allow you to see any hidden enemies within LOS, but at a reduced distance. Conversely, nightvision will increase your sight range, while only giving a small bonus to spotting hidden enemies. Those are just my thoughts. If you have a better idea, let me hear it.

4 comments:

  1. Seems like a good balance to me.

    Only thing I would add would be letting some enemies have them too, and adding counter-measures for the player and enemies as well. Some sort of expensive clothing or perhaps implants that cloak or mask the character from thermal/NV?

    Again, great visuals! Something I never expected much from this project of yours is turning into a great strength. Hurrah for libtcod!! (are you using their lighting libraries/tools/thingies??)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the colors, Nihilanth. I'm surprised it looks as good as it does with background colors (which I don't usually like). But what you should really do is change the FoV algorithm you are using; those nipples look ugly. :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops! I was gonna say something silly like the one on the left is slightly smaller and stuff, but then I decided to... nevermind.

    Anyway, I found the article I was talking about earlier, about nice building generation. It was not an old article/newsgroup post; it's on Mingo's site:
    http://umbrarumregnum.110mb.com/articles/random-buildings

    It's very interesting and has lots of ideas. There are also other map generation articles there. :)

    ReplyDelete