Pages

Monday, September 6, 2010

equipment

I told myself I'd work on map generation this weekend, but I'm still stuck on that so I decided to give it a break and work on other stuff. I started working on the equipment stuff and pretty much got it mostly done in an hour or two.
Don't worry. The item names are only temporary. If you've got any cool sounding item names, feel free to suggest them by the way. As you can see, each body part can have its own piece of equipment and an additional item, like a weapon. I will make the equipment screen ignore items that can't have actual equipment (like internal organs).

Progress in the level generation department isn't going so well. Coming up with a good, interesting building layout generator is very hard, so I may just resort to using pre-built templates. But I'll still give procedural generation a shot. It's not pretty, but here's what I've got so far.
It constructs the building from several random rectangles and then subdivides it into a number of smaller sectors. Each of those sectors will not be an individual room. Instead I'm hoping to come up with a way to combine them in an interesting manner. I'll also throw in some random divisions to break up large spaces. The final result may not be the best looking building in the world, but I think it will be better than what you've seen in previous releases.

As always, your comments and suggestions are welcome.

2 comments:

  1. I'm really digging the little icon graphics.

    I hope you find a procedural method that works for level generation. Even if it creates some odd looking buildings, I still like to be surprised by the maps each game I play!

    Thinking about maps reminds of Ascii Sector. Have you played it? It's got the spaceships, but also guns/shooting/fighting on the planets too. Check it out. But one thing that always kind of disappointed me about that game is lack of random maps. All the maps are hardcoded!

    ReplyDelete