Pages

Thursday, April 19, 2012

Graphics engine

I started this iteration of CPRL using a .NET SDL wrapper for the graphics, which I quickly discovered to have one huge flaw that would make it very problematic to do what I want to do. It was pretty much impossible to render sprites with shading or tinting in real time, which would be necessary for the lighting engine I hope to do. Even if I had decided to drop lighting I would still need it for drawing explored terrain outside of the current field of view. Rather than limit my options, I decided to write up my own hardware accelerated 2D framework using OpenTK. Being not very experienced with OpenGL, I was intimidated by the thought, but it ended up only taking me a day to get the core functionality I wanted.
Don't worry. The final game shouldn't look like this.
As you can see, it supports rotation, scaling, and tinting and is also relatively fast. The screenshot is just a sample I did to test as I worked on it. It's not quite finished, so I haven't yet integrated it with the existing game engine. On that note, I did throw together a few new graphics.
Fans of the Sega Genesis Shadowrun game may appreciate this screenshot.
My art really isn't that great, but it's easy for users to swap out tiles with their own, so custom tilesets can easily be a thing if the game ends up being good enough to have a fan base.

2:30 AM Edit:
I wasn't quite ready to call it quits after this blog post, but I did change gears a bit and do something that I've been meaning to do for a very, very long time.
I finally put that level generator to use!

No comments:

Post a Comment